Full-time academic position in philosophy and ethics of economics at KU Leuven
The Institute of Philosophy of the KU Leuven is pleased to announce a full-time academic position in philosophy and ethics of economics. We are looking for internationally oriented candidates with a strong research record and proven educational competence.
You can apply for this job no later than September 30, 2016.
The Institute of Philosophy offers academic education in English and Dutch, to both graduate and undergraduate students; it has about one hundred doctoral students. The faculty has an extensive national and international academic network and has an excellent library. Please see the Website unit
The successful candidate will be affiliated with the Centre for Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy and is expected
- to pursue a research programme at an international level which is mainly concerned with a critical reflection on the economy from a broadly social and ethical perspective.
- to set up collaborations inside and outside of the research centre, to support and extend its national and international research networks. In this context, the development of close collaborations with the Faculty of Economics and Business of KU Leuven is of particular importance.
- to acquire competitive funding and supervise PhDs.
The successful candidate is expected to teach high-quality philosophy and ethics of economics courses. He or she is prepared to teach courses and seminars in Dutch and English, to graduate and undergraduate students both at the Institute of Philosophy and other KU Leuven faculties, more particularly at the Faculty of Economics and Business. He or she will also teach introductory courses in philosophy to large groups of students in Dutch.
Candidates are expected to
- possess a PhD in Philosophy. An additional degree in economics will be considered a strength.The quality of their research in the domain of philosophy and ethics of economics is proven by publications in leading journals and books and through international research experience.
- have demonstrable qualities related to academic education.
- have a cooperative attitude and possess organizational and leadership capacities.
Proficiency in English is required.
The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in administrative meetings.
Before teaching courses in Dutch or English, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch respectively English to the required standard.
We are offering a full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. It focuses on inter- and multidisciplinarity and strives for international excellence. In this regard, it actively works together with research partners in Belgium and abroad. It provides its students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.
Depending on his/her record and qualifications, the successful candidate will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor,associate professor, professor or full professor. In principle, junior researchers are appointed as assistant professor on the tenure track for a period of 5 years; after this period and a positive evaluation, they are appointed (tenured) as an associate professor.
For more information, please contact Prof. G. Van Riel (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), chair of the Appointment Committee of the Institute of Philosophy, Kard. Mercierplein, 2, B-3000 Leuven or Prof. Bart Raymaekers (e-mail: email@example.com), dean of the Institute of Philosophy, Kard. Mercierplein, 2, B-3000 Leuven.
For problems with online applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job no later than September 30, 2016 via the online application tool